La Palma, Chalatenango

La Palma was founded in 1815, six years before the independence of Central America in 1821; achieving the title of city on September 3, 1959. The city is located 84 kilometers north of San Salvador and at an altitude of approximately a thousand meters above sea level. This is the more reason why this city passed with a very cool climate year-round.

La Palma, Chalatenango

A curious fact, La Palma is one of the cities furthest from El Salvador, since it is only 12 kilometers from the border with the neighboring country of Honduras. El Malcotal mountain is that specifically goes through the city. The Malcotal is very important because it belongs to the Central chain or Sierra Madre, which stretches from the coastal part of the United States to the South American countries that border the Pacific Ocean. Therefore, arriving at La Palma, visitors found with nature in its most pure State, with fresh air in abundance.

La Palma belongs to the municipality of the same name, in the Department of Chalatenango. The municipality comprises approximately 136 square kilometers, thousand two hundred houses and has a population of approximately 13,000 inhabitants in the urban area and seven thousand in rural areas. Since the city is located in as hidden place, people who live in La Palma must travel every weekend to stock up on provisions.

Related:   The Pirraya island

La Palma is a clear example of what would happen if nature knew it to appreciate and sight it more frequently. This beautiful city has extensive vegetation due to its location in the heights. The city is privileged with the gift of pure and crystal clear water, the liquid element is abundant.

The population of La Palma is also unique in El Salvador, they already are the product of a mixture of Indians and Creoles, which predominates in all over the place. However, the higher areas of the city, inhabited by people with more native features than Indian (white complexion, blue or green eyes and blonde hair).

This picturesque Salvadoran city is characterized by its fine handicrafts, which are produced by hand… by hands guanacas. These beautiful crafts are made in wood and ceramic and constitute a pillar in the economy of the city of La Palma. According to city statistics, 75 percent of the inhabitants is dedicated to handicrafts and the remaining 25 per cent is dedicated to agriculture, especially the cultivation of vegetables, corn, beans and coffee.

For all the above reasons, the city of La Palma has become Center of attention for the development of tourism in the region. La Palma can be a tourist attraction not only for Salvadorans, but also for foreigners. A few activities that can be done in La Palma are organizing hiking on the mountains that surround it, camping on abundant forests of pine or enjoy a refreshing swim in rio.

Related:   Nahuizalco

One Response

  1. ELENA 20 November, 2018

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

contadores