The Museo de Arte de El Salvador (MARTE), located in the city of San Salvador, is a private, nonprofit responsible for the preservation and dissemination of visual arts in the country.
The building that houses the Museo de Arte de El Salvador, opened on May 22, 2003, was designed by architect Salvador Choussy. It covers an area of 2,968 m² and contains both showrooms and administrative offices. Notable rooms dedicated to Salvadoran art (called revisions), the temporary exhibitions and alternative spaces. It is part of a complex comprising the Monument to the Revolution and the Allegory Monument to the Constitution of 1950 and the Freedom Monument.
The samples range from the period from the mid-nineteenth century to contemporary times. Within the collection are the legacy of Rosa Mena Valenzuela, collection of Patronato Pro Cultural Heritage of El Salvador, works of José Mejía Vides, and donations from various artists, among others. Among the temporary exhibitions include the presence of some of the works of renowned artists such as Picasso, Rembrandt, Salvador Dali and Joan Miró. By Salvadorans have been shown creations Camilo Minero, Julia Díaz, the caricaturist Toño Salazar or painter Ana María Martínez and his brother Avilez San Avilez, educated in Paris.
Apart from the usual samples, the Museo de Arte de El Salvador organizes guided-within a volunteerism program, trainings and workshops visits.