The DUI, as it is commonly known to the Documento Único de Identidad, is the document that identifies the people of El Salvador. In addition to serving as an identification, it is also necessary to vote in municipal or presidential elections.
From the 1 July 1960 as identification to natural persons in El Salvador was through the identification of Personal identity (CIP) and to cast the vote had to deal with another document called Electoral card.
The DUI began to issue from November 1, 2001. And since it is the identification that every Salvadoran must use both inside and outside the country.
Its broadcast is regulated by the national registry of natural persons (/ NRNP), who emits it to all Salvadoran who has attained his majority of age (18 years), which is its main function. This institution is responsible for registration, issuance and delivery of the DUI.
FOR WHAT IS THE DUI
The DUI is obligatory use throughout the national territory, for all major Salvadoran. It has a validity of five years, starting from the month of issue. The issuance and renewal of the DUI, should be ordered in the month of birth of the applicant. The procedure lasts the around Central magnificent of 30 minutes or less and it is done in the/NRNP units called Duicentros that are in every Department of El Salvador.
In El Salvador circular with a DUI expired or have not renewed during birthday is synonymous with lack of identity, since without this document can not be procedures whose requirements are a DUI that is effective.
Some procedures that you can perform with the DUI are deposits or Bank withdrawals, payments with credit cards, commercial purchases in cash or on credit, solvency of the PNC request, fee subsidy of electrical energy, processing of driver’s license or card of vehicles among others.
REQUIREMENTS TO OBTAIN THE DUI FOR THE FIRST TIME
- Be 18 years of age
- Present the original birth certificate
- Present membership of minority, passport or driver’s license (if you don’t have any of these documents must present a witness)
Note: To obtain the DUI for the first time is free.
REQUIREMENTS TO RENEW THE DUI
- Present your receipt of payment for DUI by $10.31 (may cancel it at any Bank)
- Submit your previous DUI.
- Submit your birth certificate.
WHEN IT IS NECESSARY TO RENEW THE DUI
- When expired
- When has been lost or stolen
- When it is unreadable or is damaged by an inappropriate care.
- When marital status has changed (in this case excluded, indicating the change of civil status must present the birth certificate).
AS PROCESSING YOUR DUI ABROAD
Currently only be processed the DUI in United States and Canada, the cost of the DUI is $35, and you can call the call center 1-800-941-5516 or approaching the Duicentros located in the following places:
- NEW YORK: Central Islip (address: 990 Motor Parkway, Central Islip, NY 11722).
- VIRGINIA: Woodbridge (address: 14556 Potomac Mills Road, Woodbrige, 22192 VA.).
- CALIFORNIA: The Angeles (address: 3460 Wilshire Boulevard, the Angeles CA. 90010).
See other locations of consulates of El Salvador where can also arrange your DUI, in this page also can be done online dating to perform the procedure, or check the progress: www.dui.gob.sv (DUI abroad).